Sunday, March 21, 2010

Where I live

If you are like me prior to planning this excursion, your knowledge of Korean geography may not be very expansive, so I thought I would post a couple of maps on here just to make it easier to know my whereabouts. The first map is of Korea and Busan is labeled in the southeast corner. It is pretty close to Japan and about as far from Seoul as one can be while still being in Korea. The population is about 3.6 million makes it, by far, the largest city in which I have lived.

The second map is of the Busan Subway. I live on the far right side of the map right next to the Jangsan subway stop. If walk out of the front door of my building I come to an entrance to this subway stop before I even reach the first corner. Although I have not yet ventured very far via subway, I anticipate this close proximity to the subway will be nice. It has already been helpful when traveling home by taxi as all of the drivers know after I attempt to say "Jangsan" or the more polite "Jangsan yuk ka chuseyo" that I am trying to go to the Jangsan Station. It is also to live at the end of the line for a novice rider of the subway as I can't really head the wrong way. All of the signs are written in both Korean and English, so it is pretty user friendly overall for someone with no Korean ability.

Two stops down the line is the "Haeundae" stop. Haeundae Beach is probably the most famous beach in Korea. It only takes about 15 minutes to walk there from my apartment. I think it is swim-able from May to September. While I have yet to visit, I expect I will spend plenty of time there once it warms up a little more. Save July and August when Korean people go to the beach in drovesI don't think it is really too crowded.

This past Saturday, I was looking for some cleaning supplies. On advice from some of my colleagues, I went to E-Mart. I think this store is the Korean equivalent of Walmart or any other big box retailer. I didn't really know what to expect, but since it was only about a 10 minute walk I figured I'd give it a try. When I got to the store, there were people everywhere coming out and going in. It was a very large store with pretty much anything you could want available. I quickly found some mops and thought I was in the right general location. After almost buying a scouring brush, I found some sponges and a broom/dustpan set in a nearby aisle. Now all I needed was soap and I thought I could find it nearby. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it. I found children's toys, school supplies, electronics, appliances, clothes, cookware, car wax, but no soap. Imagine going to a disorganized Target that is on 4 different levels and not being able to read any of the signs. After wandering around for about 45 minutes I finally found some downstairs in the grocery store. It was incredibly hot in the store; I'm guessing due to the number of people shopping on a Saturday afternoon. I probably looked a little shady because I was walking around the same areas for so long with my jacket tied around my waist, and I was worried there would be some weird checkout or something I would miss and they would think I was trying to shoplift. It all worked out and my bathroom and kitchen are now clean. Also, thanks to all the time I spent unintentionally "exploring" E-mart, I should know where to find most anything I might need in the future.

*note* I have a several pictures I have taken of my building and elsewhere in the city but am currently having problems uploading them. They should be up soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment